Thursday, October 2, 2008

Macanudo 1968 Toro (6" X 54)


Wrapper: Honduran San Agustin leaf.
Binder: Connecticut Habano
Filler: Dominican republic and Nicaragua


Appearance 7/10
Construction 15/15
Aroma 17/20
Burn 14/15

Draw 10/10
Flavor 25/30

Price - Approx. $9.50

Lance's Rating 88/100




The blend celebrates 40 years since Ramon Cifuentes began developing The Macanudo brand, which was released in 1971. This "release celebration" allowed me to pick up a three pack of these cigars online for about $10.00 for all three, (shipping included). For that price, I had to try them. These are the first Macanudos that I have smoked.

Appearance 7/10

This cigar seemed to me to be a "standard" cigar, without any special attributes. It has a firm Colorado Claro wrapper which is heavily veined. The band is a classic look with the 1968 moniker imprinted in gold on a black background.

Construction 15/15

This is a stout cigar. I accidentally got it stuck in my cigar travel tube by stuffing it down too far, and I had to use quite a bit of force to pull it out, and it didn't cause (thankfully) any damage to the wrapper. A lesser cigar would have unraveled easily under these stresses. The wrapper is seemless and masterfully crafted.

Aroma 17/20

The cigar begins with a slightly acidic smell, but soon becomes a nice bold and rich aroma. Leather comes to mind when you light this cigar.

Burn 14/15

The burn was quite even throughout the cigar, until the last 2 inches or so, but that may have been from my trying to pry it out of my carrier ... I may have loosened the end a bit.

Draw 10/10

It was a nice draw without any soft or hard spots in the cigar. It was even and enjoyable throughout.

Flavor 25/30

Earthy, leatherlike, mediumbodied -- with a smooth short finish. It is aged in charcoaled wooden barrels to further enrich its flavor. This cigar was a very nice smoke up until it started to bite back ... but that was within the last few inches of the cigar. Once it starts to get hot, it has a very unpeasant aftertaste ... I would suggest putting it down when there are a few inches remaining.

No comments: