Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Rocky Patel Edge Maduro - Toro (6" X 52)


Wrapper: Maduro, or Corojo
Binder: Nicaragua
Filler: Secret!!













Appearance 10/10
Aroma 17/20
Burn 13/15
Construction 15/15
Draw 10/10
Flavor 28/30

Price - Approx. $5.25


Lance's Rating 95/100

I tried this cigar for the first time because of the enjoyment that I had gotten out of some of the other cigars in the Rocky Patel line ... The vintage series in particular. Of those cigars, I have tried the 1990, 1992, and the Decade. There are many left and I am sure that they will be reviewed in the near future.

Apperance 10/10

What a great looking cigar!! It has a dark maduro wrapper that almost looks like aged leather. There is a slightly oily sheen, which adds to its leather-like appearance. Simply gorgeous! Rocky Patel also makes the Edge Corojo and Edge Light, which will be reviewed later.

The banding on the cigar is almost non-existent: There is only a small band around the foot of the cigar, which according to the Rocky Patel website was a ground-breaking idea?!?!?

Aroma 17/20

Even before lighting, you can enjoy the aroma of this cigar. It doesnt have an acidic or acrid smell like some other do; nor does it smell like it has been over-infused with different checmicals. It just has a subtle sweet smell reminicent of coffee and pipe tobacco.

After lighting, it gets even better! You have to try this one!!

Burn 15/15

The burn is even and the ash is very solid and has a dark grey color. You can put this one down for a few minutes and it will stay lit for you.

Construction 15/15

It is wrapped fairly tightly without any inconsistencies of soft / hard spots. It is quite firm to the touch. The wrapper appears to be seemless.

Draw 10/10

The draw is smooth, and a little more work than I have been used to with most cigars, but it is consistent from cigar to cigar and quite goldy-locks-ish ... Not too hard; Not too soft -- but just right.

Flavor 28/30

This cigar has a great flavor -- It was quite complex combining an initial sweetness and a very rich earthy / leathery finish. According to the experts, this cigar will only get better with age -- as it will mellow out over time with help from a cedar lined humidor, but I haven't been able to leave one in my humidor long enough to find out. It has a lot of body and is very well balanced. The ONLY reason that it doesnt get a 30/30 is due to my own limited experience with all of the cigars out there. I didnt want to say that this is the best cigar in the world giving it 100 out of 100 and finding a cigar next week that I like even more .... although that I must say that I seriously doubt that I can find one this good for this price!
That being said, I cannot say enough about this one!! This is my go-to cigar for sure!

No comments: